Thursday, August 30, 2007

Slave to the Beads

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Today's post is a spotlight on blogger and jewelry maker Beth Wachla of Slave to the Beads. She was kind enough to do an interview with me and I just wanted to spotlight some of her unique, handmade jewelry!

How long have you been making jewelry for?

I’ve been making Jewellery for about 6 years. I was making super simple pieces to begin with and only really thought about working towards doing this as my career after doing a Jewellery Design Course at my local college and starting to learn more techniques.

What are you favorite materials to work with while making jewelry and where do you find them?

The course I did only really focused on metalsmithing, so whilst I did enjoy it, my favourite materials to use are definitely glass beads and vintage glass items (like cameos). I mainly buy my beads online. And have found some great vintage stuff on eBay as well as an awesome online store: http://www.papiervalise.com

Where do you get inspiration for your pieces?

My inspiration usually comes from the colours of the beads I’m working with. I find that whenever I get in a new lot of beads, I’m just raring to go! I’ve never been the kind of person to sit down and plan out my work; I just start and go with the flow.

Why did you decide to blog about your jewelry making endeavors?

I’ve always wanted to be one of those people who keeps a diary, I have the most shocking memory (my best friend contains my memories of high school, and my brother contains my childhood memories!), I figured blogging would be a great way to keep track of this time in my life. As well as being a wonderful way to connect with other craft minded people, and to get my Jewellery out to the world!

About how long does it take you to make each piece?

Most pieces take between 12 and 15 hours of work each to complete. Though they can take much longer depending on the complexity of the finished product.Where can we purchase your lovely pieces?At present my work is available on http://www.ku-ture.com and I am working towards my first solo exhibition at Gallery Nine by Five in Fremantle Western Australia, the work for that show will be available on the gallery’s website at: http://www.galleryninebyfive.com.au . I also have a mintd store but I won’t be posting any work there until after my exhibition.

Make sure you check out beth's up and coming work! and Thank you Beth for the interview; best of luck to you in your career!


xoxo,lauren
Pin It!

4 comments :

beth said...

it was my pleasure to do the interview lauren. thanks again!!

LML said...

her pieces are exquisite - i love her blog!

emsie said...

lovely interview.
i really like the bottom left piece.

x

emsie said...

oh, and i've linked you :)

x