Tuesday, August 14, 2007

What Every Girl Needs to Know about Diamonds but was Afraid to Ask

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
A wise Marilyn once said.. "Diamonds are a girl's best friend" and I couldn't agree with her more. Ever since I was in Amsterdam and toured a Diamond factory I'll admit I've had diamonds on the mind. When I think of diamond jewelry I usually think of Engagement Rings and Anniversary Gifts, but there are beautiful (and affordable) pieces that a girl doesn't need a special occasion to purchase or recieve. I posted some of my favorites above..I love how classy and timeless the diamond studs and studded bracelet are. On the opposite spectrum the heart key necklace and interlocking heart rings are trendy and chic.
The Four C's
The Four C's are what you need to look for when purchasing a diamond or piece of diamond jewelry
Cut-The shape the raw diamond is cut and polished into. Brilliance, Fire, and Facets depend on the cut of the stone. (My personal favorite is the square shaped Princess Cut)
Color- Although we are used to seeing diamonds as clear and colorless, they actually have several different levels of color. The less color in the diamond the more expensive it is.
Clarity- The measure of the ability of light to pass through the diamond. All diamonds have tiny flaws in them, but the higher the clarity the clearer the diamond.
Carat- The carat refers to the actual weight of the diamond. The heavier the diamond the higher the carat, thus larger rarer diamonds have higher carats.
Check out Abazias for more diamond fun including a Build Your Own Ring link to design your dream ring.

xoxo, lauren

5 comments:

penelope said...

diamonds!!!! haha! i love the earrings!!

LML said...

wow! i did not know all that about diamonds (love the marlyn reference). my parents and i are going to germany in october and we're trying to figure out where to go. i may have to suggest a stop in amsterdam to tour the diamond factory - that would be soo cool! where else did you go in germany?

Cris Lazoru said...

Loved this post, so informative.

C.

LML said...

wow i am a genius and thought amsterdam was in germany, but its in the netherlands lol - boy do i need to brush up on my geography skills!
:/

LML said...

sorry about the confusion! - you were probally like "what is she saying..." lol

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin