Thursday, June 5, 2008

Everything You Wanted to Know about Internships but Were Afraid to Ask

Now that summer has rolled around fashionistas around the world are fighting off boredom and obtaining valulable experience in the industry through the help of summer internships. After spending my first year away from home in college I wasn't quite ready to dive into an entire summer alone in the big city. So, I searched and emailed every fashion related workplace in 30 mile radius to see if anyone needed an intern.

Finally, I found the perfect place; a modeling management center! So far, I've learned an enormous amount from my mentors. I've been styling shoots, building comp cards, and even become a model scout for them! Of course their are some not-so-glamorous jobs like organizing the office supplies and fielding phone calls but it's all part of the experience. I've only been there for a few weeks and I'm excited to see what the summer will unfold. I highly reccomend interning- it's a good test-drive for a future career path & offers some great learning and networking opportunities!

Photobucket

For summer internship coverage & tips check out:
If you're looking for an internship check out:
I hope some of these links come in handy. If anyone else has any other suggestions or experiences to share please do! We can all live vicariously through you:)
xoxo, lauren


P.S. If you're interested in hearing more about my internship or modeling check out my model scouting blog for M.P.C. at http://www.askfelix.blogspot.com/

EDIT:
huge thanks to Teen Vogue for the mention on their site! <3

Photobucket

http://www.teenvogue.com/style/blogs/fashion

13 comments:

saray said...

enjoy your summer intership!

i want to be an intern in a fashion mag! sounds like a dream!

Tara Diane said...

Ugh, I really wish I lived in a town that had some internships I was actually interested in. My summer is pretty much spent bumming around this year.

Secretista said...

That's great you're learning stuff! It must be so cool working at a modelign agency! May be you could possibly work at Elite or something... woooooo!

aizat.cinta.goddess said...

owh..i just finnished my internishp at my country fashion magazine GLAM.. it was a blast!

Ana said...

Oh thats cool! I am so jealous.

How old do you have to be? I'm pretty sure theres no intern jobs for 14 year old fashonistas.

coco said...

My advice is wear flat shoes
You will be standing up all day!

Kira Fashion said...

so nice!
i am happy you are having some great opportunities!
you are so great!!

a kiss,
see you,
Kira

MizzJ said...

Wow that is awesome! Congrats on the job, you are a step closer to living the dream!

susie_bubble said...

Very insightful.... never did internships when I was young...i understand it's a bigger deal in the USA than here...

FabFashionista said...

I loved this post.

I found it very helpful and was just the thing I was looking for.

Good Luck and Enjoy!!

I'm jealous. JK! But seriously congrats. It's awesome and hope it's everything you want.

ed said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dance_Stars said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dance_Stars said...

I love that you posted this blog, I know its a little bit too late to respond But its awesome to let us know about internships, because I really want to do some sometime.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin