This post is for anonymous who commented a couple posts ago & my other college aged readers. I love to write about what everyone wants to read, so feel free to shoot me an email any time with suggestions!
For me living in a dorm where I couldn't paint or even put nails in the wall was a creative struggle. I craved my own artistic space, but wasn't sure how to pull that off. I sure wish I would have had someone giving me decorating suggestions beyond the taped up Breakfast at Tiffany's poster (which seems to be a staple in every college girl's dorm room!).
Here are some simple yet stylish dorm decorating solutions/d.i.y. projects:
- Create your own Pop Art Masterpiece: Pick a favorite photo and use basic photo editing software or even photobucket to alter it into 4 different color tints or exposures. Place them all next to eachother and glue to black foam core.
- Bulletin Boards aren't just for pictures: Push pins make great necklace holders. It's a great way to put your jewelry on display and have some function as well.
- Personalizing your Space: Trace letters onto white posterboard, cut out and then trace the pattern onto a patterned piece of cardstock. Paste together and Voila!
- Magazine Collage Frames: Paste patterned/colored strips of magazines onto inexpensive white frames to create a colored background. Then, cut out and paste your favorite clothing, quotes, or celebrities on top. Using a foam brush coat with modge podge to create a laquered finish.
- Record Border: Line the walls with old records by your favorite artists or with cool covers for a musical touch to your room. It adds a great splash of color to a room!
I hope everyone found the suggestions helpful. It surely makes a blah door room feel much more glamorous (not to mention homey!) when it's decorated with personal touches!