Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Is Michelle Obama the Next Jackie O?

Photobucket

Photobucket

JFK & Jackie O on his Inauguration Day

As I watched the Inauguration today I couldn't help but wonder, could Michelle Obama be the next Jaquline Kennedy in terms of her fashion sense. I never thought I'd be connecting fashion and politics, but it seems like style may be returning to the White House

Jackie O. was the first to bring fashion to the Capital city. Oleg Cassini was her designer of choice, turning her into a fashion icon. He dressed her in sheath dresses (similar to the one our new first lady is wearing), pillbox hats, and pearls.

Michelle Obama has taken to wearing designers that are relatively unknown to the masses. So far she's worn outfits by Thakoon, Phillip Lim, and Narciso Rodriguez. For today's inauguration she chose a dress by Isabel Toledo, a Cuban-American clothing designer. The color is actually very close to Pantone's color choice for the year, Mimosa which “embodies hopefulness and reassurance in a climate of change".

If there was any question as to if she was a style star in the making, she already has a fashion website dedicated to her- Mrs. O.

Best wishes to our new President..

xoxo, lauren

10 comments:

MizzJ said...

I'd say she's definitely going to bring back fashion to the white house! It's great to see a strong first lady again. Love her outfits, she will certainly be fun to watch in the next few years!

michelle said...

I certainly think so, people are already treating her as such :)

S.Elisabeth said...

I've always thought that the Obamas would be our generation's Kennedys (though hopefully minus the assassination & cheating husband quality of JFK)
And Michelle Obama's wardrobe through this whole process has been extremely chic & Jackie Kennedy worthy.

fdiary said...

I think that she is very inspiring. She has a very clean, classic and structured look that is very similar to what women worn during Jackie Kennedy's heyday. She will add her own personal touch to it of course. I relate to her style, though I like to take the "bombshell" approach of that era instead.

Secretista said...

I think so. However, Jackie O started trends and I don't see Michelle doing that. I think she goes with the trends in her own way.

LML said...

she is very classy and dresses her girls so cute! i really liked her ball gown!

lisa said...

They're a beautiful stylish family as a whole. I know I'm going to be White House style-watching the next few years!

yiqin; said...

I was pretty dissapointed at what she wore though, after seeing what designers have sketched for her! Hahaha but she does have a sense of style :)

copperoranges said...

i feel as though michelle obama is less conscious of her style influence than jackie o was. i like her attitude.

fennella ella ay ay ay said...

Yes
both of these women have an undying sense of CLASS

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin