Monday, January 26, 2009

Lessons in Design: The Arts and Crafts Movement

Photobucket

I'm taking a 20th Century Design class as an elective for my major and I'm really enjoying it. It's sort of like Art History but more focused on fashion. There's a lot to learn from the past. I thought I'd share some of the things I'm learning about in class and impart some knowledge on my lovely readers!

The Arts and Crafts movement originated in Great Britain at the beginning of the 20th century as a rebellion to manufacturing and industry. Artists and designers wanted to emphasize the imperfections and indivudality of handmade pieces versus identical machine made goods.

Some of my favorite designers of this time include furniture maker Gustav Stickley (wood chairs with high backs, often referred to as mission style), Louis Comfort Tiffany (stained glass lamps often with a nature motif), and Walter Crane (illustrated classic children's stories). Other great artists of the time include Frank Lloyd Wright and textile designer William Morris.

On a complete side note; I'm dying to live in an adorable craftsman bungalow someday; so cute!

xoxo, lauren

Pin It!

9 comments :

lisa said...

Hehe one of my history obsessions when I was in university was William Morris and the crowd of pre-Raphaelite artists he hung out with. :D

LML said...

that sounds like such a cool class! i would definitely pay attention in a class like that lol!

strikeapose said...

That sounds like an amazing class. Trade you my logic class for it! haha. if only.

Nina (femme rationale) said...

i love craftsman style homes.

copperoranges said...

one of my friends applied for a grant to make an independent course out of a fashion history class because my school doesnt offer any. she succeeded and made the most gorgeous gown as her final project. link : http://www.impactfolios.com/Kelsey_Kreiling/12105/index.htm

S.Elisabeth said...

Oooh I really like this movement. I can't wait to read more. =)

Cara said...

Thanks! I'm trying to use up the rest of my studs on a belt, but I'm totally running into the punky problem. There has to be some design that looks chic and not Hot Topic-y!

closeup said...

looove your header!!

MizzJ said...

Ooh tiffany lamps are so pretty! You're so lucky you get to take such fun sounding classes :)

Btw I tagged you!
http://highmaintenancewoman.blogspot.com/2009/01/tagged-again.html