Thursday, July 9, 2009

Au Revoir Paris.. and on to Lovely London!

My last couple of days in Paris were absolutely lovely. We visited the Galleries de Lafayette, a collosal department store with huge markdowns because July is the month of sales in Paris. We continued our shopping ventures walking down the Champs Elysees, where I drooled over all the window displays.
Photobucket
That night, we went to the Eiffel Tower at night and watched it light up and twinkle. We met some American backpackers traveling through Europe! Must be such an adventure, though I think it'd be hard to do without a suitcase of clothes!
Our last day we visited the Museum of Textiles at the Louvre. They had an exhibit about Madeline Vionnet. She is definitely an underappreciated designer! She was all about modernism in fashion, freeing women from corsets and creating garments on the bias cut with beautiful drapery. I couldn't believe how forward thinking she was! In the thirties her design firm had a nursery for mothers, paid vacations, and copywriting designs!
Photobucket
Then, we stumbled upon Paris' trendy design concept store Colette. I've read so much about it and couldn't wait to see it in person. It has no signage out in front of the store, just a small plaque leading way to a phenomenal store. There was an art gallery within, and ipods connected to the walls. The clothes were all displayed on mannequins as outfits (no racks to be seen), as if on exhibit at a museum. It was by far the coolest store I've ever been in.
Photobucket
Now, I've just reached my study center in London where I have four weeks left to explore Europe, and (to my dismay) write some research papers..
xoxo, lauren

7 comments:

archivingfashion said...

This all sounds so fun (definitely worth a few papers, haha)! Some of my friends have been to Galleries de Lafayette and apparently it is divine.

AudreyAllure said...

it looked like so much fun! hope you have fun in london (:

Cafe Fashionista said...

Oh, I'm so glad you had a wonderful time in Paris. I'm sure you will have just as much fun in London - even though you have research papers to pen! :)

Secretista said...

Still can't believe you're over in Europe. When are you coming to the NYC?? Since I'm staying at TV for the fall, and if you decide to go to TVFashionU, we'll see eachother, ya ya!

Stefanie Grace said...

Welcome to London!! (Although 'cheerio' means 'bye', not 'hello'!! I'll let you off...!) No fashionista worth their salt visits London without a trip to Brick Lane and all of the little cafes and vintage shops there! I LOVE it! Have fun, despite the work! xx

Chickygirl said...

Oooh I never been to Paris I sooo wanna go there!

Dream Sequins said...

Looks like you had fun in Paris! Personally, I enjoy doing department store shopping there.. Way more chic than Bloomingdale's, wouldn't you say? xx

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin