Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Ooh La La.. The Bra!

As part of my study abroad program, I had write a 15 page paper reasearching a design.. I chose bras. I can safely say I know about everything I would ever want to know about them after dozens of hours slaving away in the comptuer lab! They don't seem like such a novel concept now, but a hundred years ago, women were suffering as they were squeezed into overly tiny corsets. I'm not saying that we don't ever try and change our appearance in modern times, but, thank god corsets are just for fun now!

After looking up so many images of the history of bras, I've been loving anything lingerie inspired lately! It makes me want to go out and buy a super feminine lacy style! There's something quite empowering about wearing pretty underwear, even if no one else sees it.

Imagine my suprise when we went to London's Fashion and Textile Museum (started by Zandra Rhodes) today and there was an exhibit featuring what else, bras and their history! It was quite a beautiful collection and the displays set the mood perfectly.

Photobucket

Photobucket

pretty patterned undies of the past & present

Photobucket

i love all the ruffles and rosettes!

Photobucket

so cheeky, literally!

Photobucket

underwear as outerwear in 1960's playsuits

Photobucket

playing peek-a-boo in the adorable displays!

I have exactly a week left in Europe.. I can hardly believe it! I'm leaving for Barcelona this weekend and have a packed schedule ahead of me.. including a visit to see a certain famous shoe designer, but more on that later!

xoxo, lauren

Pin It!

16 comments:

MizzJ said...

What a cool exhibit! I love those ruffled panties in the first photo.

Cafe Fashionista said...

I'm obsessed with sassy underthings. The ruffles and rosettes, in particular, thrill me. I think this is one museum I wouldn't mind visiting! :)

Little Red said...

Fifteen pages on bras! I'm sure you know just about everything there is to know on them now! Haha!

Lovely pictures! This seems like a really cool museum!

Sherin said...

What a fun topic to do. You can get such great lingerie these days: colourful and frilly.

Let me know how Barcelona is. I'm going the weekend after next and have no idea what to do there.

fashionista said...

wow, bras bras everywhere!

AudreyAllure said...

lovely! i saw a little exhibit at FIT about bras once too. and i agree, there is something empowering about wearing sexy undergarments. lol

Anna said...

I love that picture of the past and present bras - so cute!

FabBlab said...

Insane exhibit. Gorg photos.

nookie said...

love the playsuits!

archivingfashion said...

What an adorable exhibit! Can't wait to hear more about this mysterious shoe designer....

P.S. I gave you an award on my blog!

Hanako66 said...

how interesting!

enjoy your last week!

Kat said...

What adorable playsuits!

Bostonista said...

This is a fab post! I wish I could see this exhibit for myself...its so cute! I think bras are a great research project bc they really did revolutionize the way women lived and dressed!
excellent!
xoxo

monica said...

amazing exhibit!
fantastic blogggg

xoxo,monica

High quality Mulberry Bags said...

Mulberry bags specializes in leather goods, from Mulberry bags uk in southwest England, the superb Mulberry Alexa Bags to build, combined with practical, original and mulberry leather bags touch and original creative design and beautiful style escape from other brands, to classic mulberry handbags antique style, commodities Also thick smell of thick leather, extensive use of metal rivets, and buckle

Cheap Diesel Jeans said...

According to Korea, 23, Diesel Jeans reported in yangzhou trip is Kim jong Diesel UK easily, he sailed toured the lake, also visited the yangzhou Cheap Diesel Jeans Macao solar technology companies Diesel Jeans sale huarun suguo supermarket, on-the-spot understand Chinese solar technology development status and rice, Diesel Mens Jeans and oil prices of supplie