1. Take advantage of all the free stuff at college
- There is always stuff being given away for free on campus from pizza to fun events like carnivals. Also, take advantage of all the facilities included in your tuition like the gym, resume advising, lake, movie theater, or football tickets!
my cute little dorm room my first year of college
2. Just because there's all you can eat cookies in the dining hall doesn't mean you should literally eat all you can
- The smell of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies can be oh-so-tempting sometimes, but overdoing could easily lead to the dreaded "freshman 15"!
3. It's okay when your high school relationships don't work out long distance
- There's so much to change and adjust to during your first year of college, that sometimes the relationships you thought would last forever can fall apart. Take it from someone who's been there.. it's okay! You're at a new school full of potential friends to make; they can fill the void of a high school sweetheart!
4. Don't waste your money buying books from the school bookstore
- The school bookstore sells books for quadruple for what they buy them back from you at the end of the semester. You will save a lot of money buying them from somewhere like Textbooks.com.
5. HAVE FUN! These are the best years of your life.
A corny cliche, but so true! After college comes a full time job and real responsibility. Enjoy all your time to explore your interests and find a career that you're passionate about!
What advice would you give your new-to-college self (if you've already been there)?