Sunday, January 3, 2010

Secrets of Smart Shopping

As much as I love shopping there are few things that make me more giddy than a great deal. After working retail and fashion blogging for a few years I've picked up a few tricks of the trade to being a smart shopper.

  1. Evaluate your closet: When you've got a tight shopping budget, this will ensure that you come home with a piece that works with your wardrobe; no buyer's remorse!
  2. Join a sample sale site: HauteLook & Gilt Groupe are great resources for those who are looking for a good deal on designer duds.
  3. Make friends with the sales associates: Befriend the salespeople at your favorite store. They'll let you know when sales are coming up & can be a vital connection to have. It's a mutually beneficial friendship!
  4. Shop at discount stores: It's such a badge of honor saying you scored a really amazing deal. I don't think I ever leave Marshalls & TJ Maxx empty handed.
  5. Look at websites before going into the store: This way you'll have an idea of what items to look for & can go in with a plan rather than trying on everything that catches your eye.
  6. Get free shipping: The major downside to online shopping is paying shipping-- so when free shipping codes are available, take advantage! My favorite site is freeshipping.org.
  7. Stalk the Sales: Keep checking back in-store and online to see what new markdowns are being taken. Shopstyle.com has a great search feature on their site to organize items by price or % discount.

I hope my tips help some of you savvy shoppers out. I'd love to hear your favorite secret to smart shopping as well!

xoxo, lauren

30 comments:

labelllefille said...

Such useful tips.. I always make sure to evaluate my closet and check the websites. I've never visited sample sale sites though! Will definitely check these out! xo

Jacqueline said...

Yeah, I need to evaluate my closet more, but the rest of the tips I pretty much follow =) Great post Lauren! xoxo

www.FashionSnag.com

MizzJ said...

Good tips! I already follow a couple of these. Does freeshipping.org also work for other countries like Canada?

Catie said...

Great tips. I adore GiltGroupe. I found out about it after reading my high school bulletin. The founders are alumni of my school! And the clothes they have on the site are amazingly cute, with tons of savings.

la petite fashionista said...

mizzj: freeshipping.org links to all the sites with shipping promotions, so it should work for any stores that ship outside the US

Sherin said...

Great tips!!! Turns out I'm an awful shopper, so I'll definitely use these tips.

LML said...

good idea to join a sample sale site - thanks for the tip!

...another resolution of mine is to get in better shape as well....feeling positive about 2010 as well :D

Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
miss jordan. said...

Great tips! I know I ALWAYS do the first tip.

Jenny said...

I've joined so many sample sale sites, it's crazy!! I like that they have new sales everyday, so you'll never get bored of their clothes!...although, maybe that's a bad thing!

Love your blog!
Hope you'll check out mine at http://jennysopencloset.blogspot.com/

Lemondrop Marie said...

Love your tips, I also try to write down what I really need (like tights or t's and what color/how many) so when I see a sale I gt the things I need most first!
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

Cafe Fashionista said...

Absolutely adoring these tips, Lauren! I agree, it is like a badge of honor to say that you got a fabulous price on something. I found amazing boots at TJ Maxx yesterday for $29.99 and I'm still talking about it!! :)

Taryn said...

these are great tips! bargain hunting is seriously the best!

cici said...

very helpful!
thanks!

Leia said...

Excellent tips! Thank you!

thegoodgirlgoneblog.com said...

My favorite sample sale site is rue la la I've gotten some really great stuff there, including a pair of Hunter boots for $45 and an awesome French Connection sweater!

All Women Stalker said...

Yay, these tips are surely helpful. I am not sure if we have sample sale sites here though. Yes, I do evaluate my closet first before heading out to do some serious shopping.

Chasing Cherries said...

Thanks for the tips :)

Alicia said...

great list!

Hanako66 said...

these are all wonderful tips...i am such a sale stalker!!

MissNeira said...

Awesome tips girl!

p.s love the picture!

Couture Cookie said...

Great list! I get 99% of my stuff from sample sales and consignment shops!

TheFashionAve said...

VERY GOOD TIPS! :)

Love ur blog! :)

Aury said...

Lauren, this is a really great post! I just recently discovered sample sale sites and they are fantastic. I'm a huge fan of discount stores and can't wait to get to know the sales associates of some of my fav stores in my new home, Boston.

Meredith Cotton said...

Lauren!

So I've bought a few dresses off this website and i feel like it's a place you'd love! they are pretty unique but work for so many occasions! They also have cool accessories and stuff, too.

http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModCloth/Womens/Dresses

congrats on the internship, btw! you'll be great!

-Meredith

S.Elisabeth said...

AH I love these tips. I definitely need to keep them in mind when I go shopping again.

betz said...

these are so helpful lauren. thanks for sharing.

xx,
betz
http://herarmoire.blogspot.com

WendyB said...

Don't forget eBay! And don't forget to snipe on eBay. Bidding wars just run the price up for everyone. I have a post on sniping: http://wendybrandes.com/blog/2008/04/snipe-dammit/

stylepint said...

Those are some great tips. I must keep that in mind when I shop! =)

vishal said...

FABULOUS OPPORTUNITY OF GETTING AROUND 20% OF MONEY BACK ON YOUR PURCHASE TROUGH ONLINE SHOPPING.SO WHAT YOU ARE STILL WAITING FOR ? SHOP ONLINE HERE.YOU CAN REGISTER HERE FOR FREE.
ENJOY ONLINE SHOPPING.
HURRY UP

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin