Thursday, March 4, 2010

All Mixed Up


allmixedup by lapetitefashionista

Mixed prints is a big trend for Spring/Summer 20010! It is definitely one of those "tricky" trends that can be a little initimidating and many of us will just leave it up to fashion editorials to rock this style. Luckily, there are some tricks to making this work in the real world too!

Use Balance. If you use a bold print on the bottom pair it with a more subtle print on the top. For example, the first outfit matches up a high waisted geometric skirt with a pinstripe crop top.

2. Mix complementary colors together. Whether it is a warm or cool color palette when the top & bottom coordinate it makes the look more cohesive.

3. Pair variations of the same print in each piece. The third look has a flower graphic on it very similar to the one on the skirt.

I'm really excited to experiment with this look! It's definitely tricky, but has such an avant garde feel to it.

Will you be mixing prints this spring or is this look better suited to the runway?

xoxo, lauren

Pin It!

18 comments:

Jacqueline said...

I enjoyed reading your tips for mixing prints Lauren. This was a very informative post and I have been wanting to try this trend! xo

www.FashionSnag.com

Cafe Fashionista said...

Great post, Lauren! I don't own many prints myself, so I doubt that I'll be mixing them; but I absolutely adore the effect on the runway!! :)

Ashley said...

This is awesome - I just did a post on prints as well! They can seem hard to wear, but this is very helpful. I definitely need to buy some good pattern pieces for spring.

Lemondrop Marie said...

I love mixing prints, and a time or two I've done it with plaids. Your points above are great~
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

Aury said...

Great tips lauren. People are usually intimidated by the idea of mixing prints. It's one of those fashion rules that are meant to be broken but can only be broken with care. :)

Marla Singer said...

thanks for the tips! gonna try it soon <3

S.Elisabeth said...

Ooh amazing tips. I'm definitely one of those intimidated by prints, but I think I must give this a try!

Fashion Court said...

thank you SO much for this.. i am always afraid to look silly, but you gave some great pointers!

Mlev.. said...

www.dirtyvintagestore.com

Buy super lovely and cute vintage clothes: chic and cheap!

Buy it Now.
<3

WendyB said...

I'm too lazy! Mixing prints requires THOUGHT.

Taryn said...

I love your take on this trend, definitely something I want to try out! :)

Leia said...

I am definitely going to try this out! Thanks for your tips :D

Sherin said...

Its going to be so much fun mixing prints this season! Great tips on how to do it!

dancinginchiffon said...

love the blue floral skirt!

All Women Stalker said...

I am totally in heart with prints! You've put together a great outfit in that first pic. Good job and thanks for the ideas!

Vickie said...

Your blog is wicked awesome!!! Great post, I love the prints :)

http://adventures-in-fashion.blogspot.com

Katie said...

I love mixing up patterns, I tend to just throw things together and see if it works, but might need to think about your advice next time I work this look.

High quality Mulberry Bags said...

Mulberry bags specializes in leather goods, from Mulberry bags uk in southwest England, the superb Mulberry Alexa Bags to build, combined with practical, original and mulberry leather bags touch and original creative design and beautiful style escape from other brands, to classic mulberry handbags antique style, commodities Also thick smell of thick leather, extensive use of metal rivets, and buckle, Mulberry Bayswater Bags copper metal parts, mulberry outlet can help medieval times