Sunday, May 16, 2010

"An Education" in 60's Fashion

Photobucket

Last night I watched "An Education", a film about 16 year old Jenny, who is swept off her feet by a 30-something playboy in 1961 post-war London. In the coming-of-age story she debates abandoning her plans to attend Oxford for a life of fashion, glamour and excitement with an older man. Newcomer Carey Mulligan was even nominated for an Oscar for her role! As fantastic as the movie was, I was most captivated by the sixties fashion in the film.

It's so interesting to see her style evolve from Catholic school girl to sixties siren. Rosamund Pike as Helen, was my favorite, her obnoxiously large statement jewelry and winged eyeliner definitely stole the show. The film's slim fitting shift dresses, pillbox hats and  poufy updos are enough to make you want to slip into the wardrobe closet!

Has anyone else seen the movie?

xoxo, lauren

P.S. Contemplating doing a video blog! Any questions for me/ideas on what to talk about?!
Pin It!

21 comments:

Nicole Leigh said...

I can't wait to see this movie! love the fashion!

Alicia said...

i just watched it! loved the fashion and the glamour of that time period. Carry is just adorable and beautiful.

I'm Lindsay! said...

I loved this movie. One of the main reasons I loved it so much was because of the fashion. Helen was my fave too!

MizzJ said...

I've been wanting to watch this movie, more for the fashion than the story I'm ashamed to admit!

Arushi Khosla (FabBlab) said...

c mulligan's my bitch.

Sherin said...

Saw it and loved it. The storyline and acting was amazing. And I was so hooked on the fashion. I love 1960's style, so really enjoyed it.

Miri said...

I haven't seen this movie but your little review makes me wanna go see it now :P

Follow me back? mystique-glamour

Tasha said...

I haven't seen the movie, but I love 60's inspired fashion!!

hélène said...

Saw it and loved it! How great is Helen's style?! I love it when movies are so fashion-inspirational!

And YES you should totally do a video post! I suggest doing a little capsule on your wardrobe, like a spotlight on your favorite pieces in your closet :)

xx

LML said...

i really want to see this!

lisa said...

I'm going to have to watch this film for the clothes!

Faux Naif said...

i loooved that movie. carey mulligan is adorable, and jenny is such a complex character - a real breath of fresh air in popular cinema.

Leia said...

I saw this movie and really enjoyed it!

As for the vlog... oh gosh I'm still so nervous! Maybe you could do a tour of your closet and show us your favorite pieces... or a make-up tutorial?

Sarah M said...

ahha OMG laauren are u stalking me!! :P i just saw this movie like yesterday and it was AMAZING!!! the lead actress i forget her name..ummm carrey mulligan? is sooo sTUNNING!

and omg what a GOOD PLOTLINE! loved her choice in the end.

great collage! :) great rep of the movie!

-Sarah M

Fashion Court said...

you totally inspired me to watch this movie! love the fashion :o)

jazmyncherie said...

I have to see this ASAP!

Twin XL said...

I really need to catch this flick....I've heard so many good things about it :)

Taryn said...

One of my favorite movies of all time! the style is amazing.

WendyB said...

Great movie -- much better than the original (autobiographical) story it was based on -- and I LOVED the hair styles.

Megan said...

I loooooved An Education too! Fabulous movie & style! Carrie Mulligan is so fashionable both in the film & in real life!

http://www.southernfemme.com

Fashion Stylist said...

The fashion and the glamour of "An Education" are indeed something that I really like taking in. Sometimes I wish that I lived back in that time even though it was such a difficult era.