Tuesday, October 19, 2010

LPF Book Club: "The Mesh: Why the Future of Business is Sharing"

Today's featured book is, The Mesh: Why the Future of Business Is Sharing by Lisa Gansky. It was a brilliant look at how the dynamics of retailing and other industries are changing. It's true, reading blogs is sharing in a verry pure form-- we write or read them to share our view points. Sharing is a great way to swap and borrow without the cost investing in something.
Photobucket
Check out some businesses that use a"sharing" service to gain access without ownership or allow the shopper to share their opinions.
Rent the Runway
Photobucket
Rent the Runway lets you rent designer dresses (with prices starting at $50) for special events like prom, birthdays, or even just a date night. You even pay a $5 insurance fee in case you spill on it or break a zipper. It's a really affordable solution to that age old problem of never having another occasion to wear a formal dress again!

Clothes Swaps
Photobucket
Swap O-Rama-Rama hosts clothes swap events with a cool added touch; diy stations with experts on hand to help you give your new clothes your own personal touch. DIY not your thing? Check out swaps on the Swapaholics site. For those in the UK check out Swishing. Australian readers can check out The Clothing Exchange. Or even host your own within your group of friends!


ModCloth
Photobucket
Modcloth  sells trendy retro and vintage inspired looks on their site. They sell really cute lothes and they're great at engaging in social media and getting involved with their customers. My favorite part of the site is the "Be the Buyer" section of the site where they actually let customers leave their feedback on potential inventory for the next season!


Golden Hook
Photobucket
Photobucket
Golden Hook is a French site that allows you to customize the colors of hand knitted hats and scarves. The best part of the customization process is where you get to choose your "Granny" to knit for you from a list of bios and pictures. You can even write them a thank you note!

These are just a few of the creative upstarts using the concept of sharing. There's a fantastic list at the Mesh site, and I'd love to hear any of the ones you've stumbled across. Whether its sharing, customer input, or customization, it's easy to see that the future of fashion is in the hands of the consumer!
Have you ever used a website that uses "sharing"? Or have new ones to suggest? Even websites like Chictopia, Lookbook, and Weardrobe count!

xoxo, lauren 
Pin It!

11 comments :

Rosa said...

I love this post!! I love how fashion has grow.. everybody is getting a piece of it.
xx
Rosa

mystylishlittlesecret.blogspot.com

veronicaa said...

What a great post!!!!
I have to check out the book and all those sites :)
Thanks for sharing!
Check out my photos from a fashion show for charity I shot :)
XO Veronica

fashi0npassi0n.blogspot.com

Melissa said...

Thanks so much for the shout-out! Such a great book, and so humbling to be keeping the company of so many fashionable peeps we admire. Hope to see you all at one of our upcoming swaps!

~ Melissa
Co-Founder, The Swapaholics

chellemorgan said...

First of all: LOVE the new banner!!! Looks amazing.
Second: You've sold me on reading this book. What a great post :)

Xo Chelle
discoveringelegance.com

lorrin said...

Your do have some unique ideas here and I expect more ray ban articles from you.
Thank you so much for sharing some great ideas of ray ban uk with us, they are helpful.
You have given us some interesting points on ray ban sunglasses. This is a wonderful article and surely worth reading.
This ray ban sale article is definitely eye-opening and inspiring.
We share the opinion on ray ban store and I really enjoy reading your article.
I totally agree with you on the point of ray ban aviator. This is a nice article for sure.
Good job for writing this brilliant article of ray ban wayfarer.
I am glad to read some fantastic ray ban warrior article like this.
Great resources of brille! Thank you for sharing this with us.
It has been long before I can find some useful articles about brillen. Your views truly open my mind.
I appreciate your bright ideas in this modische brillen article. Great work!
What an inspiring article you wrote! I totally like the useful modische brille info shared in the article.
I like your ideas about kunststoffbrille and I hope in the future there can be more bright articles like this from you.
I greatly benefit from your articles every time I read one. Thanks for the kunststoff-brille info, it helps a lot.
Excellent point here. I wish there are more and more gleitsichtbrille articles like that.
I love this gleitsichtbrillen article since it is one of those which truly convey useful ideas.

lorrin said...

I like your ideas about kunststoffbrille and I hope in the future there can be more bright articles like this from you.
I greatly benefit from your articles every time I read one. Thanks for the kunststoff-brille info, it helps a lot.
Excellent point here. I wish there are more and more gleitsichtbrille articles like that.
I love this gleitsichtbrillen article since it is one of those which truly convey useful ideas.
This is the best glasses article I have ever found on the Internet.
I really like this eyewear article, and hope there can be more great resources like this.
Bright idea, hope there can be more useful articles about eyeglasses.
Great article, it's helpful to me, and I also like the useful info about cheap glasses.
I love this cheap eyeglasses article since it is one of those which truly convey useful ideas.
I totally agree with you on the point of eyeglass frames. This is a nice article for sure.
I like your ideas about eyeglasses frames and I hope in the future there can be more bright articles like this from you.
I really like this prescription glasses article, and hope there can be more great resources like this.
Great article, it's helpful to me, and I also like the useful info about prescription eyeglasses.
Bright idea, hope there can be more useful articles about glasses online.
Excellent point here. I wish there are more and more eyeglasses online articles like that.
Your do have some unique ideas here and I expect more ray ban articles from you.

lorrin said...

It has been long before I can find some useful articles about accessories. Your views truly open my mind.
I really like this iphone accessories article, and hope there can be more great resources like this.
What an inspiring article you wrote! I totally like the useful iphone 3gs accessories info sared in the
This is the best iphone 3gs cases article I have ever found on the Internet.
I appreciate your bright ideas in this iphone 3gs screen protectors article. Great wo
Thank you so much for sharing some great ideas of iphone 3gs armbands with us, they are helpful.
You have given us some interesting points on iphone 3gs stylus. This is a wonderful article and surely worth
Excellent point here. I wish there are more and more iphone 3gs chargers articles like that.
I greatly benefit from your articles every time I read one. Thanks for the iphone 3gs cables info, it helps a lot.
I totally agree with you on the point of ipad accessories. This is a nice article for sure.
Great article, it's helpful to me, and I also like the useful info about iphone 4 accessories .
We share the opinion on iphone 4 bumper and I really enjoy reading your article.
I really like this iphone 4 cable article, and hope there can be more great resources like this.
This iphone 4 case article is definitely eye-opening and inspiring.
I greatly benefit from your articles every time I read one. Thanks for the iphone 4 charger info, it helps a lot.
Thank you so much for sharing some great ideas of iphone 4 holder with us, they are helpful.
I love this iphone 4 screen protector article since it is one of those which truly convey useful ideas.
Itotally agree with you on the point of iphone 4 skin. This is a nice article for sure.
What an inspiring article you wrote! I totally like the useful iphone 4 stylus info shared in the article.

oakley sunglasses uk said...

juicy couture tracksuits
wedding invitations
wedding ideas
wedding flowers
wedding rings
wedding cakes
jade jewelry
different life
vogue life
flower girl dresses
mother of bride dresses
wedding bride dresses
Tiffany peace bracelet
Pandora sale
pandora jewelry
pandora charms
juicy couture outlet
Juicy Couture
oakley sunglasses

wedding shoes said...

swarovski rings
Silver Jewelry
Juicy Couture
juicy couture outlet
cheap juicy couture
juicy couture uk
juicy couture sale
juicy couture online
discount juicy couture
juicy store
juicy couture tracksuits
juicy couture tracksuits

zhangyue said...

Destination Wedding,Ronmatic Wedding Destination,Wedding Destinations Honeymoon In World------wedding Destination
Wedding Customs and Traditons In Your Country And All Over The World------wedding customs
All League Caps & Hats,NACC jerseys,league key rings!------nba caps

League NBA Jerseys, NBA Throwback Jerseys of nba players!------nba throwback jerseys
Cosy Baby clothes,Baby shoes,Baby gift for love------baby clothes
Popular 2011 Trendy bags,Celebrity handbags & wallets Styles------bags

nba apparel------nba apparel
All star MLB baseball jerseys-Cheap MLB jersey sale------mlb jerseys
Bridesmaid dresses,Bridesmaid jewelry and Bridesmaid gifts!------beautiful bridesmaid

mulberry sale said...

All these fashion decorations also come in pandora bracelets a wide variety of styles as sizing's so that you can find the right one which often meets this skin attributes of your target Mulberry uk. The square facial area is among the most popular model of the face area and many on the jewel styles will certainly combination along with it completely pandora uk. thomas sabo jewellery necklace is probably the warm belongings in the list Mulberry outlet. There are a number connected with lovers in this certain product range, that features a large amount of celebrities from distinct tracks associated with life.