Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Trend Forecasting Flashback: a Return to Luxury

The other day I was thinking back about how true the trend forecasting predictions the Doneger Group's David Wolfe made giving a lecture at our school in 2008. He talked to us before the recession had really hit the fashion industry and it's crazy how spot-on everything he said was; a "return to luxury-- or at least the look of it" he predicted. And he couldn't have been more right.
Photobucket
Everywhere you look there is a feeling of opulence in fashion right now, especially in fabrics; faux fur, sequins, rhinestones and tweed. Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
This trend is really about feeling luxurious and putting on an air of wealth, even if it's just a $15 sequin tank from H&M. I know it's hard to imagine a time when all of these weren't in fashion, but at the time a more casual grunge/boho look was reigning. It's crazy to think that an trend forecasting expert could predict this two years ago.. but I suppose that's what they make the big bucks for hm?

xoxo, lauren

8 comments:

Cupcakes and Cosmopolitans said...

Oh wow! Your right, that's why they get paid the big bucks for. However I do think lace && sequins are always in.

cupcakesandcosmopolitans.blogspot.com

$armin<3

MizzJ said...

How does he come up with such spot-on predictions??

Leia said...

This is so interesting! I suppose with economic problems and worries we all want to take comfort in little luxuries, and that's reflected in the way we dress! I'm interested to hear what he has to say about future trends!

Leia

FASHION SNAG said...

I love all these fabrics!

www.FashionSnag.com

lisa said...

It is crazy how spot-on he was in his trend forecasting. Now, the question becomes: How long is this return to heritage going to hold? I'm hoping for "as long as possible" because I really love this look.

jessidebergerac said...

I'm so glad fashion has gone in this direction, I love all of these looks.

xxx

Jessi

Megan said...

I love the white faux fur coat. It's super cute and looks really soft.

http://fashiontriedandtrue.blogspot.com/

Cafe Fashionista said...

Lace and sequins will forever be two of my favorite things - love love!

Happy, Happy Thanksgiving, Lauren!! :)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin