Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Style Questions Answered: Cocktail Attire

A couple days ago I saw a message in my inbox from one of my guy friends from college. His dilemma was that he was going to a beach wedding with a "cocktail attire" dress code and had no idea what that required. I love that my friends are still forwarding their fashion questions to me a 1000 miles away, and I wanted to take the opportunity to write a post on it, with lots of spring weddings on the way!
Photobucket
For Women, Cocktail Attire can mean knee length dresses in silks and woven fabrics. I like the idea of brightly colored dress for a Spring wedding, and pairing it with fancier looking accessories and complementary shoes. Avoid cotton fabrics that can look too casual, sandals, and of course wearing the color white.
Photobucket

For Men, Cocktail Attire can be quite formal. Depending on the location of the wedding, look for a sport coat or blazer, with dress pants, and shoes that match. I like the idea of an oxford shirt with a pop of color underneath the jacket paired with a stylish, patterned tie. You can even go the extra mile and wear cuff links. Avoid tennis shoes, shorts, and going too casual; every girl loves a well dressed man!

Do you have any fashion dilemmas or questions I can help you out with! Feel free to email me or leave them in the comments!

xoxo, lauren


15 comments:

Lauren said...

Nice picks! Even older people seem to be confused when you request cocktail attire - everyone needs this message. Now if only I could learn to dress "casual" - that's the one I have trouble with.

Soraly M said...

Thanks so much for this! I'm attending a wedding in May and had no idea what to wear =]

Laura said...

Great post! I am sure men everywhere will really appreciate this. And I love that your guy friend cared enough to ask how he should look because you are right. What women doesn't swoon when her guy is the best dressed man in the room!

Midnight Cowgirl said...

Wonderful post! Love the purple dress.

Under the Fluorescents said...

i love that second dress. the colorblocking totally makes the dress. i would never expect to pair it with silver, but it totally works!

http://underthefluorescents.blogspot.com/

Nihmen T. said...

Great post girl! The second and third outfit are very cute :)

Allison said...

Omgosh, Lauren, I wish I had this post a few months ago! I went crazyyy trying to find an appropriate dress to wear to my ex's brother's wedding (his family was ridiculously conservative though, so even knee-length was deemed "inappropriate").
That middle, coral colored dress is so beautiful, I'd wear it in my day to day life, not just at a wedding!
Great advice for males and females! :)
Hope you're doing well, dear. xo

Kimberlee said...

I love your choices! I would maybe do a more colorful tie since everything is blue :)

sbot said...

Cute! Love the purple one.

Thanks so much for your comment, check out my new post if you like : )

www.baublesandbangles.blogspot.com

www.rosivintage.etsy.com

-Stephanie

MizzJ said...

Great style advice! That coral dress you chose is hot.

Leia said...

You are so right - every girl *does* love a well-dressed man! And suits/blazers/formal attire is SO sexy.

Leia

Maddy said...

These are all great alternatives! I wish I a summer wedding to attend :)

Anna said...

Lauren, thank you for your sweet comment. I love your cocktail attire suggestions.

Lauren said...

great options! i was wondering if you could help me with morocco options. I am having trouble finding affordable clothing for my trip. it needs to be conservative - covering my knees and shoulders because its an islamic country. and it needs to be cool because its HOT! and i want to be stylish lol....dilemma!

High quality Mulberry Bags said...

748

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin