Sunday, August 7, 2011

5 Things I Didn't Learn in Class



As a recent Florida State University graduate, I feel at liberty to share some of the things that I wish I knew in college. I get alot of emails asking about how to pursue a career in fashion or how to dress for less so here is some of my sage advice! ;)
1. Take advantage of your local surroundings: If you move away to school, take full advantage to soak up the area you'll be living in for the next 4 years. Visit touristy spots, try new restaurants and take lots of pictures.

A weekend roadtrip to the beach in Destin!
 2. Living in dorms is not as bad as it sounds: I made some of my closest friends while living in that shoe box sized room! I just wish Dormzy had been around when I was in school- they're a service that delivers groceries and other goodies; absolutely GENIUS.
My freshman year dorm! oh the memories.

3. Share clothes with roomies & shop for good deals: A college kid fashion budget is rough. Swap going out looks with friends so you never have to repeat the same outfits & shop the sales to build your closet.
All dressed up for a bestie's 21st birthday!
4. Pick a major you feel passionately about: I chose fashion merchandising because I couldn't imagine working in any other industry. Yes, I had to deal with people telling me I would NEVER find a job, but look at me now; an assistant merchant, and I wouldn't have it any other way!
At one of  our Fashion Club's fabulous fashion shows.
5. Keep in touch!: With facebook and social media use at an all time high you think it'd be easy to keep in touch. College can be such a crazy busy time, but remember to stay in touch and maintain the relationships you want to hold on to! (Aunts & Grammas send the best care packages!)
My best friends forever :)
I had an amazing time in college. I had the best group of friends ever, became a huuuge college football fan (go noles!), and chased my dreams. I can't wait to see what happens in the next chapter!
What's your fave piece of college advice or what questions do you have?
xoxo, lauren
Pin It!

10 comments:

Laura said...

Best advice:Don't always play it safe. Some of the best memories you ever make will be the ones made while doing something outside your comfort zone. Be safe when it comes to your health, though!

Bostonista said...

These are great tips! I had the best time in college and made amazing friends. It goes by SO fast though so I want everyone to remember to soak it in and really enjoy it!
xo

Casey said...

You are inspirational and adorable. I love when you do posts like this! Also, that navy sequin skirt = need.

the funky fashionista said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful advice! I needed something like this! Even though I still have 2 years till college, this is so helpful! I want a major I'm passionate about! How do you know when its the right one? I think its fashion but I'm not sure! I can't really see myself doing anything else but I still don't know! I just want to be happy doing whatever it is I do!

http://thefunkyfashionista.blogspot.com/

Blair said...

Dress nicely for classes, you never know who is going to be in the building! I hate it when people wear gym clothes to class, you are never going to have the chance to talk to the Dean if you dress like that!

Allison said...

Totally agree with each and every one of these points! I'd definitely also say that getting involved, whether in a sorority, or with clubs on campus is a perfect way to meet people with similar interests! I wish that I had done more outside of my sorority and joined more organizations and clubs!

Kimberlee said...

Aw such a great post! I had so many people tell me not to go to fashion school because it's limiting. However, I've always known what I wanted to do :)

dreaming en francais said...

Super cute post!! xo


http://dreamingenfrancais.blogspot.com/

Meg said...

LOVE your blog :) I'm a freshman at FSU and I'm majoring in fashion merchandising (well, it's RMPD now). Thanks for the tips!

blueberryglaze said...

Thanks for the great tips! You have such a great blog!