Monday, September 24, 2012

Farm Fresh: Veggie Picking & Canning

It's harvest time in Wisconsin, tomatoes and peppers are ripe for the picking and ready to get canned into salsas and sauces. My boyfriend's mom snapped some pictures of me in the garden and taught me how to make some of her famous canned salsa! I have a new appreciation for the homemade kind over the store bought now!










I've been really into the idea of buying fresh food, gardening, and canning. There's something that's so rewarding about eating a homemade meal with fresh ingredients. You'll see some more of this in issue #2 of La Petite Fashionista Mag!

These are some books I'm wanting to add to my collection that talk more about the subject, all from my go-to for pretty coffee table books, Anthropologie. (I swear I can't shop there without leaving with a book!)

lpf book club: farm fresh reading

What's your favorite thing to make from scratch? I make a mean pico de gallo!

xoxo, lauren

13 comments:

More said...

Ve ry nice pictures!!!

Xoxo

Cotton said...

Fresh salsa is the best! I miss all of the amazing farmer's markets in Gainesville, they always had the best homegrown foods!

Sherin said...

Looks like so much fun! I would love to learn how to make salsa too.

chillairandperfume said...

I love fruit & veggie picking!

And how cute are you?! Love your boots & headband, especially.

xo,
Hannah
www.chillairandperfume.blogspot.com

Erin said...

That looks so fun! Fresh goodies from the farmer's market always puts me in a cooking mood. Maybe this will be the year that I learn how to can!

Caitlin C. said...

You are so cute Lauren!! Looks like so much fun, I LOVE picking fruits and veggies, but especially in the fall!

Jessica W said...

So many alien vegetables! Ahh!
I love eating homegrown veges :)

The Lovelorn

Franziska said...

How cute are you in that dress and boots. Hopefully you guys got everything picked before the frost hits!

Caitlin Cawley said...

fresh salsa is so good! and i have been really into fresh foods as well, got to love farmers markets!

E said...

So impressed by your skillz! Canning is definitely something I want to learn how to do!

Saucy Jocey's Kitchen said...

This looks like so much fun! I wish I was there with you!

Layne @LifeinthefastLayne said...

You look so cute! There's a farmer's market twice a week right by my house so I've been cooking and eating tons of fresh food! My favorite is farm fresh sweet potatoes and cinnamon with just a touch of maple syrup.

homemade salsa guy said...

Thanks for this delicious approach to fresh, healthy eating; particularly helpful as a gluten allergy sufferer I am always on the lookout for healthy new and creative menu items. I will surely be checking back regularly.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin