Monday, December 3, 2012

LPF Cooks: Healthy Taco Salad & Made from Scratch Margs

True Story: it is the absolute worst time of year you could possibly diet. Though, I hope to think of it as less of a diet and more of a transition back into healthier eating. Wisconsin has wayyy too much delicious food, and it's all about balance (keep your balance y'all!).

My boyfriend and I are suffering through our holiday dieting together (with small indulgences along the way of course; see: made from scratch margs). We whipped up this taco salad for dinner the other night, and I didn't even miss the tortilla chips!

lpf cooks: healthy taco salad & made from scratch margs

Healthy Taco Salad:
Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground sirloin
2 tbsp. seasoning (don't buy the pre-made packs, mix your own)-a pinch of cumin; black pepper, chili powder, garlic powder; salt
1/2 head of iceburg lettuce 
1 onion
1 green pepper
2 c. of romaine lettuce
1/4 c. green onion
2 tbsp. cilantro
1/4 c. of reduced fat cheese
Optional condiments: salsa, sour cream, wholly guacamole (my favorite!)

1. Sautee onions and green pepper in a pan with a tbsp. of olive oil; set aside when onions are translucent.
2. Add seasoned ground beef to pan on medium-high heat, add back in onions & peppers when cooked.
3. Top lettuce mix with ground beef & veggies, sprinkle cheese, cilantro and whatever condiments you'd like

Save calories by: skipping the tortilla chips, using reduced fat cream cheese, and not using high-sodium pre-mixed taco seasoning


This is a much healthier way to make margaritas, and significantly less sugar and better natural flavor than store bought margarita mixes.

Made from Scratch Margs:
Ingredients:
1/2 lime
1 tbsp. simple syrup (it's easy to make your own- we store ours in a squeeze bottle!)
2 oz. tequila
2 oz triple sec

1. In a cocktail shaker, squeeze lime, add simple syrup, tequila & triple sec, add ice and give it a few good shakes
2. Pour over a margarita glass and fresh ice.

Experiment with margarita flavors; add muddled strawberries or grapefruit juice for a fun twist.

What foods do you like to swap out for healthier calorie substitutes?

xoxo, lauren
Pin It!

7 comments :

Heather said...

Lauren -this looks awesome! And after reading Maya's post today - did I know you were from my home state???? I love meeting fellow Sconny girls!!!

XO
Pearls & Paws

Cotton said...

mmm taco salad is a serious treat for me! I can never get enough mexican food!!

Lauren said...

The taco salad looks delicious! You're right about it being hard to diet around this time of year, but I think I could skip the tortilla chips too with this meal!

Fizz and Frosting

Amy said...

um yummy, i wish this was in my lunchbox today!
http://coffeebeansandbobbypins.blogspot.com/

Caitlin C. said...

I LOVE this! Mexican food is my absolute favorite (especially guacamole and margaritas - I could seriously live off of both of these). I totally feel you about trying to eat healthier during the holidays. It can feel nearly impossible this time of year, but I love how you're doing it anyways!

Meg {henninglove} said...

that scratch margs recipe sounds great, must try it and definitely love a good taco salad. and i agree with you worse time of year to diet but just don't go overboard limit yourself eat what you love love love!

wholesale jewelry said...

It’s good to read such interesting stuff on the Internet as I have been able to discover here. I agree with much of what is written here and I’ll be coming back to this website again. Thanks again for posting such great reading material!!