When it comes to traveling, I'm all about experiencing things like a local. When I studied abroad, I found bed & breakfasts and rented homes to stay in. Usually at a much more affordable rate than a hotel, you're given access to a local's insights and often unbelievable locations (i.e. when I stayed in Rome we were literally a block away from the magnificent Vatican). The experiences are almost always more memorable!
I recently stumbled upon airbnb which offers listings for shared rooms or rented homes all around the world. It shows reviews from previous travelers, verified pictures of the homes, and you can really get a great feel for if the place will be a good fit for you!
I was perusing today for some affordable beachy getaways- from Hawaii to California, to Florida. They vary from offering incredible hospitality (i.e. welcome drinks upon arrival and bikes to borrow) to incredible locations (i.e. steps from the beach or in the heart of a trendy area).
Ready to get away to one of these beachy locales? (starting from top left corner):
- Kealakekua Bay Bali Cottage, - Captain Cook, Hawaii - from $125 per night- This home is a minute and a half walk on the beach, this cottage is decorated with vintage teak panels & beachy outdoor shower.
- Charming, Colorful, Close to Beach- San Diego, California - from $79 per night- This studio rental looks like it stepped off the pages of an Anthropologie catalog, use the free bikes to explore Pacific Beach.
- Need Some Rest? Come to Key West - Key West, Florida- from $95 per night- Relax on the hammocks, enjoy fresh coconut every morning & take a sailing lesson with the owner of this rental room.
- Beachy Chic South Beach Studio Apartment- Miami Beach, Florida- from $99 per night-This colorful and modern studio apartment is in the heart of the art-deco district, walk to Miami's hottest restaurants, bars & beaches.
- "Hale Moana" Small but Special- Maui, Hawaii - from $95 per night- This private studio offers ocean views, fruit trees in the yard, surfboards to use, and Hawaiian hospitality.
- Cozy Laguna Beach Artist Cottage - Laguna Beach, California - from $100 per night- This comfy and colorful cottage would be great for a group with its breakfast nook, outdoor area, and walking distance to world class surfing beaches
- Malibu Zen Retreat on Organic Farm- Malibu, California- from $75 a night- This airy room with panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean is also situated on the host couple's organic farm. For a small extra fee have a home cooked meal using ingredients from the orchard & farm you're staying at
- Venice Beach, Canals, Abbot Kinney - Venice, California, from $125 a night- This new apartment was designed by a local interior designer featuring vintage meets modern decor and a killer location by the Venice boardwalk and one of the city's trendiest shopping / dining areas
- Historic Santa Monica Home by Beach - from $100 a night- Stay at a private room in this beautiful Santa Monica home where you will be walking distance to beaches and able to enjoy the California lifestyle at their beautiful outdoor entertaining area
Reading all the reviews of people's visits to the different airbnb locations makes me reminisce about my travels! It makes a world of a difference staying somewhere other than a hotel chain and truly getting to experience an area.
These beachy destinations will not disappoint for a little summer beach getaway!