Monday, June 17, 2013

Easy Meals for Busy Girls: Arugula Salad + DIY Vinaigrette

One of the nice things about rooming with K for the Summer is getting to make dinner for two! He has a  CSA (community supported agriculture) membership, so we have a weekly influx of fresh produce (lately lots greens). This means lots of summer salads for dinner because they're quick & healthy to whip up!

This feta, orange, onion & arugula salad is the perfect mix of flavors made even better with a homemade vinaigrette. I was inspired by Jocelyn's DIY salad dressing recipes in LPF Mag.

 Easy Meals for Busy Girls: Feta & Orange Arugula Salad + DIY Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette

Salad Ingredients:
 Arugula
Mandarin Oranges (slice in thirds). 
Red Onion (sliced thin)
Feta Cheese 

Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette: 
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2/3 tbsp honey
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/3 c extra virgin olive oil
salt + pepper to taste

I love the idea of making salad dressings from scratch instead of buying premade. They're so much tastier have less preservatives & are more cost effective (I mix mine up in a mason jar and shake all the ingredients up).

Be sure to check out Issue #3 of LPF Mag for more DIY salad dressing recipe ideas to make your own!

xoxo, lauren
Pin It!

7 comments:

Saucy Jocey's Kitchen said...

MMMm the oranges sound delicious with the feta and balsamic!

Katherine Nolden said...

This looks so delicioues! I've been trying to get Tom to join a CSA fo the summer! Do you love it? Pro con it for me!

Rachel Lynne said...

That looks absolutely delicious!

Sandy a la Mode said...

i am making this tonight, no joke! i bought arugula and don't know what to do w/ it haha!!

xo,
Sandy
Sandy a la Mode

katie @ sappy and happy said...

yummy!!! i want to make this right away! nothing tastes better than fresh - you're lucky! xo

Allison said...

I am absolutely going to make this on Thursday! I need to experiment more with making my own dressings - I'm also so jealous of your CSA. I'm looking into one so I can eat a LOT more veggies and support local farms.
Seriously, I can't wait to make this salad for moi + Ed now!

Maya {CharminglyStyled} said...

I am all about easy meals, especially on crazy busy summer days! I'm going to have to try this - salads are always a good idea ;)

xx,
Maya