Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Inspired by: Frank Lloyd Wright

When my parents were in town visiting over the weekend we decided to pay a visit to a nearby architectural treasure, Taliesin. The home of renowned architect Frank Lloyd Wright located 45 minutes away from Madison in idyllic Spring Green, Wisconsin.

I have been inspired by his design aesthetic since my 20th century design class in college (still one of the classes I enjoyed most in school). Frank Lloyd Wright's designs try to bring the nature indoors, contain Asian influences & use modest/local materials. He is known for his philosophy of organic architecture as well as for such homes as Fallingwater or the Guggenheim Museum in New York City.

I'm absolutely inspired by his design principles & way of living a life close to nature. 

Inspired by: Frank Lloyd Wright


Frank Lloyd Wright also held an architecture school (which still exists today) in which his students live on the Taliesin campus & learn the design principles as well as how to use local resources like apple orchards for meals, and limestone for building. 

Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin: Spring Green, WI

I loved the elements in the rooms from the floor to ceiling windows to give the best views, indoor plants, fountains, and nods to Asian art. I also found it intriguing that he used branding in all of his work- identified by the color red, and rectangles in the same shade (can you spot them above in some of my pictures?)

Do you have a favorite design period or artist's style you admire?

xoxo, lauren

1 comment:

Jessica Joyce said...

Oh, this is such a brilliant idea and concept since visiting FLW. I've visited his architecture in Chicago, NYC, & PA! I, for one, am a HUGE fan of his utilitarian style.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin