Wednesday, November 12, 2014

3 Ways to Wear Vests in the Winter

We officially have snow in the forecast this week. My poor little Floridian heart is so not ready for that yet. Although looking cute in the cold is important to me, I refuse to sacrifice warmth for style.
 
One of the trends I'm loving right now is the quilted vest.  Gone are the days of looking like a big marshmallow- brands are making insulated down vests more stylish than ever with streamlined quilt lines, pops of color & fashion forward details- J.Crew has made the look more popular than ever.
 
As I've mentioned a couple of times on the blog, I used to work in Outerwear merchandising and learned a ton about fill power & construction during my time in the category. While an inexpensive vest may be tempting, look for technical details like fill power or insulation if you don't want to be shivering in style. I've rounded up a few of my favorite ways to layer up with vests & cute  knit hats to pair with them.
 
 
La Petite Fashionista: 3 Ways to Wear Vests in the Winter
 
Look 1: Playing With Pattern
 Pink Insulated Vest: North Face | Navy Striped Blouse: ModCloth | Chevron Hat: Vera Bradley

Look 2: Cozy Glam + Faux Fur
Gray Vest: North Face | Cable Knit Sweater: Boohoo | Faux Fur Headband: Topshop
 
Look 3: Tribal Print + Cable Knit
Navy Toggle Vest: Patagonia | Tribal Print Sweater: ModCloth | Cable Knit Hat: Lands' End
 
I love each of these looks. The first has a preppy feel & great pop of color. The second look is minimalist and oh-so-cozy with the cable knit & faux fur. The third look reminds me of weekends at the cabin with the fun tribal print!
 
The trick to winter layering with insulated vests is to pick a silhouette that's not overly poufy. Remember what I said about fill power of down and insulation quality.. pooufiness does not equal warmth. You can still wear something streamlined and be cozy!
 
Which look is your favorite?
 
xoxo, lauren

2 comments:

Lindsay Ropella said...

That middle vest is ADORABLE! I've never actually gotten a "winter vest" but my husband has one and it's so warm! This might have to be the year I add one to my collection! ;)

Hillary @ styleinasmalltown said...

My favorite look is number 2, I love the headwrap! This is great information, I didn't know about the fill power. Thanks! :)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin