Thursday, May 28, 2015

Blog to Biz: Getting Started

Even though I've been working on my own, running my freelance social media services & workshops for over a year- I've realized how little I've actually shared about my journey from the corporate fashion world to #girlboss! I'll try to share some of my honest insights, celebrations and frustrations as well as answer some of the questions I've received from you all. For the sake of complete transparency- there are good days & bad days, and ebbs & flows, but I'm so thankful I've had this opportunity to pursue my dreams and make them a reality.
 
So, welcome to my new Blog to Biz series. If you have any questions feel free to reach out and I'll cover them in a future post! I figured there's no better place to start than the beginning so in today's post I'll share how I got started and took the plunge!
 
Blog to Biz: Getting Started
 
 How did I go from fashion merchandising to social media?
 
I think this is one of the things I get asked most often! I've always loved fashion, had dreams of opening my own boutique and never questioned for a second when I took a job in the corporate fashion world. Over time I began losing my joy for it - something I honestly never thought would happen, but I knew it was time to make a change.
 
  What boggles my mind is that when I was in college classes/majors in social media didn't even exist. What I didn't realize was that by writing and creating content at La Petite Fashionista since 2007 I was inadvertently becoming skilled in using all the social media platforms, analytics & understanding how to cultivate an audience. It was also something I loved doing and talking to people about.
 
If you want to find a job you love, identify your "sweet spot" - where your passions and strengths intersect [tweet this]. Take a few minutes to write it down. What are you great at? What do people ask for you advice about? Equally as important- what do you love doing?
 
No matter what industry you're in, if you take this approach can help ensure that you choose a path that you'll be happiest with. Does this mean there won't be roadblocks, frustrations or stress? Absolutely not, but if you're doing something you love - it's worth it. Was I terrified at leaving a career while I was only a few years out of college? Absolutely, but excitement and ambition outweighed any misgivings.  
 

Blog to Biz: Getting Started

What were the initial steps I took to starting my business?
 
Before I took the plunge to leave the comfort of a salaried job I made social media my side hustle. I worked on special projects, speaking engagements and one on one consultations. I worked on my blog and business at nights when I'd come home from work and weekends. Work-life balance was pretty nonexistent at that point, but it was enough for me to see that my idea was tangible.
 
A few weekends before I put in notice at work my sister (a fellow entrepreneur and go getter) flew up to Wisconsin to come stay with me. We found a great deal at a local hotel and made it into a sort of business planning retreat. I brainstormed, vetted ideas with her as my sounding board and wrote my business plan. It was exactly what I needed - no distractions, time to focus and be creative. It's amazing how much you can do if you allow yourself the time, space, and energy to do it.
 
As I mentioned, a business plan was one of the crucial things I did when I first started out. I used a few different references, but loved this outline for creative entrepreneurs from Amanda Genther. Writing a business plan forces you to think about the nitty gritty details right from the start. How much will your rates be/products cost? How would you define your target market? I also have a plethora of fun small businesses resources and tips on my #GirlBoss pinterest board!
;
Follow Lauren @ La Petite Fashionista's board #GirlBoss: Entrepreneurship on Pinterest.

If I can leave you with one piece of advice it's to start before you're ready. So often in life we wait for the perfect timing and everything to fall into place- but if you wait for that to happen you may miss out on some amazing opportunities.
 
Summer Social Media Strategy Chats

I'm always trying out new ways to connect with other small business owners and bloggers with my business. I also know how many questions there are and the endless google searches they can send you on. I wish I could just grab coffee & talk social media with all and I figure this is the next best thing!

Over this summer I'm launching 30 minute summer social media chats. I'll start by asking for your pressing social media questions & give you the opportunity to ask anything! Whether you want to learn the ins & outs of promoted pins, want to set up a campaign with influencers, or want to hear my instagram secrets- I'm an open book! I'd be happy to share with you everything it's taken me the last 8 years to learn while running La Petite Fashionista!

It's easy to set up a time with me- can't wait to chat! I've tried as affordable as possible because I know exactly how it is as a fellow entrepreneur! You can also save 10% (woo, happy dance!) till 6/3 using code "happysummer".

What other small business topics would you like me to cover in the series? Feel free to leave a comment or tweet!

xoxo, lauren

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bothered your spouse might be having an affair? Clear your doubts...Contact smarthacker@inbox.com to
check your spouse's sincerity and for your other hacking needs such as; emails, facebook/social media, CHANGING COLLEGE GRADES, clearing bad records, keeping tabs on employees or getting any classified information. Sales
and installation of hidden cam and other security gadgets also available

AngelicAbbie said...

Love your story, it's so inspiring!! Great post :)

Emily Yi said...

I'm drooling over the idea of a weekend away to plan... I think I like to plan too much? Love the encouragement to start before you are ready! Pretty true in all of life... More fun to figure it out as you go.

Ali Weber said...

Wonderful tips as always! I find creating that time and space to focus purely on blogging is what I lack and self doubt like most.

Rachel @ The Haute Notes said...

I absolutely love reading posts like this, Lauren! As someone who recently took that same leap, I really enjoy hearing the stories behind other girl bosses. Your motivation and dedication to your biz is so inspiring to me!

Rachel
The Haute Notes

Dragon Don said...

dragondon87@gmail.com
U Need Any Help ?
University grades changing
Bank accounts hack
Twitters hack
email accounts hack
Grade Changes hack
Website crashed hack
server crashed hack
Retrieval of lost file/documents
Erase criminal records hack
Databases hack
Sales of Dumps cards of all kinds
Untraceable Ip
Individual computers hack
Websites hack
Facebook hack
Control devices remotely hack
Burner Numbers hack
Verified Paypal Accounts hack
Any social media account hack
Android & iPhone Hack
Word Press Blogs hack
Text message interception hack
email interception hack
- See more at:
dragondon87@gmail.com

Tracy White said...

Hi, everyone it has come to my knowledge how difficult it is to come across someone legit for this job, I basically think we don't need to face any lies and deceit from our spouse, long time I was fooled around but right now as far as I'm concerned about this job Wayne, (wjitservices@gmail.com) he's real. He saved me from the lies of my cheating fiancé, he deals on any type of hack such as gmail, Facebook, whatsapp, mobile phone,Skype, websites, upgrading scores, database, software testing, password sniffing, Cpanels, mystery shopper, SQL DB penetration, lease penetration and lots more, Mail him if you got any issue, he would definitely get it done. With quickest time frame.

D Dacdac said...

Do you need to keep an eye on your spouse by gaining access to their emails? As a parent,if you want to know what your kids do on a daily basis on social networks (This includes facebook, twitter ,instagram, whatsapp, WeChat and others to make sure they're not getting into trouble? Whatever it is,Ranging from Bank Jobs, Flipping cash, Criminal records, DMV, Taxes, Name it,i can get the job done.Am a professional hacker with 10 Years+ experience.Contact me at dragonhhacker@gmail.com...Contact him and Its done.Tell him Daura referred you

Louisa Banks said...

Please i need the real identity of a hacker, she has taken down my website and social media accounts; she even has control of some of my emails. I just got a message from my bank about a $10,000 withdrawal that i didn't approve and i am sure she is at it again. Please help me find this hacker, her email is thejamiehookup@gmail.com

D Dacdac said...

Do you need hackers for hire? Do you need to keep an eye on your spouse by gaining access to their emails? As a parent do you want to know what your kids do on a daily basis on social networks ( This includes facebook, twitter , instagram, whatsapp, WeChat and others to make sure they're not getting into trouble? Whatever it is, Ranging from Bank Jobs, Flipping cash, Criminal records, DMV, Taxes, Name it,i can get the job done.Am a professional hacker with 20 Years+ experience. Contact me at dragonhhacker@gmail.com ... Send an email and Its done. Its that easy, daura referred you

D Dacdac said...

Do you need hackers for hire? Do you need to keep an eye on your spouse by gaining access to their emails? As a parent do you want to know what your kids do on a daily basis on social networks ( This includes facebook, twitter , instagram, whatsapp, WeChat and others to make sure they're not getting into trouble? Whatever it is, Ranging from Bank Jobs, Flipping cash, Criminal records, DMV, Taxes, Name it,i can get the job done.Am a professional hacker with 20 Years+ experience. Contact me at dragonhhacker@gmail.com ... Send an email and Its done. Its that easy, daura referred you

Walter James said...

I Basically think we all don't have to face all these deceit and lies from our spouse...in a case of mine wen i got sick and tired of all the lies and deceit i had to contact a friend of mine to get me the contact of one of the best hackers in the states ..then i met cyberphonehacker@gmail.com..He saved me from the lies of my cheating wife by hacking her phone..Incase you need help with hacking any phone or account or other jobs contact him via email/phone (CYBERPHONEHACKER@GMAIL.COM) or
+1 916 302 2234 Tell him i reffered you.He will help you

Tracy Lane said...

hyperhacktive1 @gmail .com is a professional hacker that specializes in exposing cheating spouse,and every other hacking related issues. he helps catch cheating spouse by hacking their communications like call, Facebook, text, emails, Skype and many more. i have used this service before and he did a very good job, he gave me every proof i needed to know that my fiancee was cheating. You can contact him on his email hyperhacktive1 @gmail .com to help you catch your cheating spouse, or for any other hacking related problems, he will definitely help you, he has helped a lot of people, contact him and figure out your relationship status. i wish you the best too.

digitize ghost said...

For all Private Investigation &Hacking Services

gmail: eightspyders

website: www.8spyder.com

-Finding out if your Spouse or Partner (husband, wife, boyfriend, or girlfriend) is cheating

-Keeping Tabs on Employees or Doing Background Check On Your Online Lover

-Gaining Full Access To Any Mobile, Whatsapp, Email, Facebook, Snapchat, And Any Other Social Media Accounts or Chat/Messenger

-Hacking of University Portal; Change of Grades; Get Examination Questions

-Fake passports and documents


FAST AFFORDABLE RELIABLE

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin