Saturday, September 12, 2015

DIY Natural Makeup Brush Cleaner

This week I got to check out the new Container store opening at Mayfair Mall in Wauwatosa. Being in organization heaven got me thinking alot about well.. organization! Today for their store opening I picked up an acrylic cosmetics organizer. In the spirit of tidying decided I should get my makeup brushes looking pretty and clean again. I'm not going to lie, this is something I definitely don't do as frequently as I should (experts say at least once a month, depending on how frequently you use them).
 
 I'm on a constant mission to try to use less chemicals in the products I use- especially if it's something I put on my body or face (or eat, for that matter). I tried a simple, DIY method today for cleaning my makeup brush and it worked just as well as the chemical-laden stuff (& smells amazing). You may even have all the products you need around the house, so check it out!
 
A simple DIY makeup brush cleaner that's chemical-free & all natural!
 
The best part about this DIY Makeup Brush Cleaners is that there's no harmful chemicals! It uses a multi-purpose Castile soap which contains all natural ingredients. You can also use it for shampoo, face wash & body wash. The one I used is infused with lavender essential oils but they also typically come in peppermint.
 
A simple DIY makeup brush cleaner that's chemical-free & all natural!
 
DIY Natural Makeup Brush Cleaner:
Travel Spray Bottle
Pure Castile Soap (you can also substitute baby shampoo or LUSH's organic shampoo)
A small cup of warm water
Paper Towel
 
A simple DIY makeup brush cleaner that's chemical-free & all natural!

Steps for cleaning your makeup brushes (naturally):

1. Fill mini spray bottle with Castile soap (or substitute) & spray brush bristles.
 
2. In a small glass swish around the brush (just as you would a paintbrush). Be sure not to get the metal "stem" wet, as it could loosen the bristles.
 
3. As an extra step if there still seems to be any powder/pigments left in brushes you can gently massage the brush under a running faucet with warm water.
 
4. Once your brushes are thoroughly cleaned blot them on a paper towel and set them out until dry!
 
I'm so happy to finally have a super easy & natural way to clean them. Keeping them clean will be a breeze with the mini spray bottle!
 
Do you have any other beauty routines you've swapped out for a more natural method? Be sure to let me know or shoot me a link @lpfashionista!
 
xoxo, lauren
 
 


2 comments:

Katie said...

I can't wait to try this method! Sounds easy and I love natural cleaning products! Xo

Wandeleur said...

Love this method of cleaning makeup brushes! I also use olive oil and dishwashing soap thats also works extremely well the olive oil to keep the brush nice and soft and the soap to kill any bacteria :)


Wandeleur

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin