Thursday, December 17, 2015

Windy City Weekend

Kyle & I made our annual trip to Chicago last weekend and other than the unseasonably warm temperatures it didn't disappoint! I'm a big fan of the weekend getaway- especially if it's within driving distance. My fellow Midwesterners, is there any cities we should be adding to our list (I think I'd love Traverse City & Minneapolis)?

I'm sharing a few of my favorite snapshots & stops to make when we travel there during the holidays! Soon enough we'll be traveling again, back to Florida to spend some time with my family for Christmas.

Chicago Couple

My lovely fiancée and favorite travel buddy.

Holiday decorations in downtown Chicago.

Christmas Decorations & Windows: Walking around downtown to check out the decorations is always a holiday tradition for us. I especially love checking out the decked out store windows on Michigan Avenue.

Ice skating at The Bean at Millennium Park at Christmas time.

Ice Skating at Millennium Park: I just love people watching here! We grabbed lunch and coffee at Le Pain Quotidien across the street and fell in love with it's cozy and rustic atmosphere and tasty organic menu. I've heard the Peninsula's rooftop also has a fun & festive rink (I mean look how cute) if you're looking for something less touristy!

The cheese case at Eataly in Chicago.

Eataly: This Italian marketplace is an experience in itself so I always add it to our weekend itinerary. We picked up some cheese and wine to snack on in our hotel room. This store is such a feast for the senses and there's even a Nutella bar! Next time I want to take a cooking class.

Chicago weekend tips!

A Night on the Town: We are foodies and love trying out new restaurants and bars. Two of our forever favorites are Quartino's (a shared plate Italian restaurant) & Giordano's for deep dish pizza. Blogging friend & Chicago foodie Kitt at the Kittchen put together the most amazing round-up of restaurants!

Colorful candy at Dylan's Candy Bar in Chicago

Dylan's Candy Bar: If you have a sweet tooth like Kyle & I you have to make a stop at Dylan's Candy Bar. You can fill your treat bag with any candy you could imagine and try some unique sweets you've never even heard of. Kyle is quite literally like a kid in a candy store here.

Georgia O'Keefe at Art Institute in Chicago

Art Institute: You could spend an entire day in the Art Institute because there is so much to see and it's all housed in the most beautiful building. If you only have a limited amount of time to check out the museum do some research ahead of time to prioritize. My favorite pieces are from Georgia O' Keefe, van Gogh, Degas, & Monet. I also love all of the Eames mid-century furniture designs

A winter day in downtown Chicago.

 The most exciting part of the trip for me was finding my wedding dress at BHLDN, but I'll be sharing a post about that later! Our quick trip definitely had us in the holiday spirit!

Which cities are your favorite weekend getaways?

xoxo, lauren


Alissa said...

What an amazing trip you had! Also, I walk out of that candy store with like a million pounds of candy!
The Adored Life

Sydney S said...

I love going to Chicago during the Christmas season, everything is so pretty!
xo, Syd

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin