Friday, February 19, 2016

8 Ways to Embrace the Slow Living Lifestyle

One of the common values that Kyle & I share is wanting a simpler life. We both work in the digital marketing world and it's so easy to get caught up in comparison, non-stop change, and the exhaustion that being constantly connected brings. We love our jobs, but equally as important is taking time to slow down, enjoy unplugged moments together, and enjoy life!

I've been reading a few articles that introduce the formal name for this as "slow living". What exactly is slow living you ask? It's the idea of incorporating more mindfulness into your life- a more conscious lifestyle that includes the way you approach everything from relationships to purchases. This article does a great job of breaking it all down. For me it means taking a more thoughtful approach to my lifestyle, but at the same time accepting progress over perfection.

I thought I'd share a few of the ways that we like to approach "slow living" and ideas to incorporate the concept in a way that works for you.

 photo embrace slow living_zps5ynmmxt2.png

8 Ways to Embrace the Slow Living Lifestyle:

1. Coloring Books: This is seriously one of my favorite activities with Kyle. It's an excuse to get creative, get off the computer, and break out the colored pencils (I linked to a ton of fun adult coloring books here).

2. Plant a Garden: Some day, I'll have an actual garden (and hopefully I've inherited my sweet nana's green thumb), for now I'm happy with our succulents. Live in the city? Try a teeny herb garden that you can keep in your kitchen (love this mason jar herb DIY kit).

3. Reflecting & Journaling: The "Our Q&A a Day Journal" is full of thought provoking daily question prompts for couples if you're looking for something solo, try Moorea Seal's "52 Lists Project" Journal.

4. A Slow Dinner: Though it's so tempting to go out or take a shortcut or something ready-made from the deli counter, few things are more gratifying than a truly delicious meal from scratch. Making bread with Kyle's mama is one of my favorite ways to warm up on a winter weekend and this ice cream maker is definitely going on our wedding registry.

5. Phone-Free Date Nights: Keep those phones put away when you're out with friends or your significant other. It makes for better conversations and better connections! Kyle's "love language" is quality time - for him nothing means more than knowing that I won't spend our sushi date on Instagram or checking emails.

6. Read a Book: Growing up I was the biggest bookworm. I was an avid reader and checked out books from the library regularly. Now, it's something I have to make time for, otherwise I'll convince myself that I'm "too busy". I'm trying to read more fiction too, my girl Joyce always has great recommendations.

7. Self-Care: Jess Lively talks a lot on her podcast about self-care almost sounding like another item on the to-do list, which totally defeats the purpose. I've started taking some more time during my nightly routine before bed (derma e charcoal mask, yes to coconut eye balm, and philosophy miracle worker).

8. Say Yes to What's Important: I wrote an entire blog post about What I'm Saying "Yes" to this year. Living more intentionally means you don't have to do it all. It's okay to ask for help or admit you have too much on your plate. It's about feeling less obligated to say yes to every single opportunity if it doesn't make you feel fulfilled.

 photo slow living coffee break_zpsslsuygwa.jpg

What's your favorite way to slow down and enjoy more of life?

xoxo, lauren

1 comment:

Priya Puri said...

Lovely post. I've been making an effort to slow down in 2016 too and appreciate the little things. In fact a lot of the things you've mentioned in your post I've been making an effort to do more of. I'm sure after some practice I'll get used to and enjoy even more this sweeter pace of life.

www.solasulu.com

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin