Tuesday, June 7, 2016

LPF Travels: Sonoma, California

As part two of my travel recap of my trip to California I wanted to share the details of my visit to Sonoma and wine country with my mom and sister. I could hardly believe that wine country was only a short drive over the Golden Gate bridge away. Soon, you've reached the rolling hills, vineyards as far as the eye can see, and small town charm of Sonoma

I already can't wait to go back! It reminded me so much of the farms that dot the Wisconsin landscape- just replace the dairy cows with grapes and wine tasting!

A travel guide to 24-hours in Sonoma, California | wine tasting, hotel & restaurants

A travel guide to 24-hours in Sonoma, California | wine tasting, hotel & restaurants

Gloria Ferrer Vineyard in Sonoma, California

A travel guide to 24-hours in Sonoma, California | sparkling wine tasting at Gloria Ferrer

A flight of sparkling wine for a tasting a Gloria Ferrer Vineyard

A travel guide to 24-hours in Sonoma, California | lavender at Matanzas Creek Winery

Gorgeous lavender in a watering can- taking this inspo home with me!

A travel guide to 24-hours in Sonoma, California | scenic gardens at Matanzas Creek Winery

Lavender fields & outdoor gardens at Matanzas Creek Winery

A travel guide to 24-hours in Sonoma, California | Lodge at Sonoma

The Lodge at Sonoma Resort & Spa was amazing! They did nightly wine tastings in the lobby from local wineries and had the most gorgeous outdoor pool. Such a serene space!

A travel guide to 24-hours in Sonoma, California | Flowers at Sonoma Lodge

Flowers at our lodge in Sonoma.. I couldn't stop snapping photos!

Then, we checked into the Lodge at Sonoma, which was one of the most beautiful places I've ever stayed! The design was drop dead gorgeous and the grounds were covered in beautiful, fragrant flowers everywhere you turned. We called an uber to take us to Buena Vista Winery, one of the oldest wineries in California. Our uber driver was a nice old man who blasted Frank Sinatra and told us stories about wine country- pretty epic! We enjoyed a flight by the fireplace in their cozy, lodge.

Then, we headed back to the lodge to change for dinner, but not before catching their nightly free wine tasting (are you sensing a theme here?) featuring a local vineyard. We headed to Sonoma's adorable town square for dinner at the Harvest Moon Café, which featured a menu full of fresh local fares. I wish we would have spent more time in the downtown area. There were tons of adorable local boutiques and restaurants, but they were closed by the time we were done with dinner!

They had a beautiful outdoor area at the resort with lounge chairs and heaters by the pool. So, mom, my sister & I grabbed one more glass of wine and enjoyed some girl talk. I can't tell you how nice it was to spend quality time with them both since we all live across the country from each other!

We wrapped up our short an sweet visit to Sonoma with a trip to Matanzas Creek Vineyards. Despite the rain, this vineyard was so stunning. The lavender fields were quite grown in while we were there but the gardens and outdoor patios and seating made you want to sit down & stay for a while! I've never been much of a Chardonnay gal, but tried a glass here that had me rethink.

It was such an amazing trip & I'd love to go back and explore this area some more! Special thanks to @laurenabrenner for all the recs!

xoxo, lauren


Alissa said...

I want to go back with you if you go again! ;)

The Adored Life

HiFashion said...

Look like such a beautiful place. And sounds like a fab trip.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin